Friday, December 5, 2008

Christmas is Coming

It is that time of year again where we gather as family to enjoy Sheperd's Pie and Turkey, a time for exchanging gifts, a time for putting up and decorating the Christmas tree, a time for singing carols and partying with just about anyone who's in the festive mood.

But let's hold back for a moment and reflect: What actually is Christmas? It is the birthday of our Lord Jesus Christ. To my non-Christian readers, I am very proud and honoured to tell you that behind the commercialized Christmas we all know, the one with all the glitz and glamour, sights and sounds, there is after all a deeper meaning. Christmas is a time to celebrate, yes, after all it is a very Special Birthday. But it is also a time for reflecting on those not fortunate enough to experience Christmas like we do. It is a time of giving and sharing, not only gifts, but the joy and happiness to those who have none. This is what I understand of Christmas and this is how I like it to be.


Don't get me wrong, I do love all the happening events and enjoyment of the occasion as well. In fact of all metioned above, I think I love caroling the most. Music of the season. Being able to bring the Christmas spirit to people through songs is I think the best way to spread joy and happiness. Oh, you may say, you are bored of the same old songs being played over and over again every year: Jingle Bells, We Wish You A Merry Christmas, Joy To The World and Santa Claus is Coming to Town. *Yawn* I am too. But if you love carols you would find that each time a Christmas song is sung or recorded, there is a slight difference and that makes it special.





Now, there are some of these songs sung by certain people which really stand out. You ay want to try listening to N'Sync's a'capella version of "O Holy Night" which I think is the best version of the song ever. And then if you remember, a few of years back, Music Canteen Malaysia gathered most the English Malaysian Underground Bands and produced a CD :"A musiccanteen christmas" which I think is the best Christmas album ever. At least for me. In the CD you might want to check out God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by Tempered Mental, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by Juwita Suwito and 12 Days of Christmas by Lo. The songs are just so different and so much better that the boring old traditional carols.


I don't think they sell the CD off the shelves anymore, so if you would really like to but it, try online shopping.

There you go, a lil' something to put you in the mood for Christmas.

No comments: